SAMMinistries Mission Statement
SAMMinistries is an interfaith ministry whose mission is to help the homeless and those at risk of becoming homeless attain self-sufficiency by offering, with dignity and compassion, shelter, housing, and services. SAMMinistries also provides volunteers opportunities to be renewed and fulfilled as they serve.
Facts about San Antonio Homelessness:
- On any given day, there are 4,000 homeless men, women and children in San Antonio.
- 70% of homeless have been homeless over 1 year
- 18% of request for emergency shelter could not be met
- 31% of the homeless are families with children
- 64% of homeless family members are children
- 37% of the homeless women living in shelters are employed
- 27% of the homeless men living in shelters are employed
- $350 is the median monthly income of a homeless family
- 42 years old is the average age of a homeless adult in San Antonio
- 6 years old is the average age of a homeless child In San Antonio
- In FY 2011, SAMMinistries provided 351,100 nights of shelter and supportive services to 5,859 men, women, and children
- In FY 2011, SAMMinistries served 1,401 families, which included 2,500 children
Causes of Homelessness in San Antonio:
- Lack of affordable housing
- Low paying jobs
- Mental illness and the lack of needed services
- Substance abuse and the lack of needed services
- Domestic violence
- Large family households
How you can Help:
Today SAMMinistries has a staff of more than 70 and is supported by more than thousands of volunteers who support families and individuals on their path to self-sufficiency throughout San Antonio (contributing an average of over 37,000 service hours annually).
The SAMMinistries Donation Department accepts, sorts, and distributes a wide variety of donation funds and items received from community members just like you. The men, women, and children who find themselves in a homeless situation benefit from these generous donations where they may also find hope and a helping hand at one of our shelters.
Make an Online Donation